Pros for hiring Craig Counsell as manager for the Cubs:
– Counsell has a good reputation in baseball and is respected by players and coaches.
– He has experience as a player, which can help him connect with the team on a deeper level.
– Counsell has a proven track record of success, with the Milwaukee Brewers reaching the postseason multiple times under his management.
Cons for hiring Craig Counsell as manager for the Cubs:
– There is always an element of uncertainty with any coaching hire, as it is difficult to predict how a manager will perform in a new environment.
– Counsell may need some time to adjust to the unique challenges and expectations of managing the Cubs.
– The pressure of the baseball world’s expectations can be daunting for any manager, and Counsell will need to prove himself under this scrutiny.
Pros for Jed Hoyer scooping up the best available manager without anyone knowing: – It shows Hoyer’s shrewdness and ability to keep deals under wraps.
– Securing the best available manager without competition gives the Cubs an edge.
– Surprise announcements can generate excitement and create positive buzz for the team.
Cons for Jed Hoyer scooping up the best available manager without anyone knowing:
– Lack of transparency can lead to speculation and rumors, which may not always be favorable.
– If the process was kept secret, there might be questions about other potentially strong candidates who were overlooked.
– The element of surprise may also mean limited time for fans and media to adjust expectations and fully embrace the new manager.
Jed Hoyer skillfully secured the top baseball manager unnoticed.